You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites.
Before you enter any personal details, please make sure that you are using our secure online registration system and check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF, 934 kb) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
Please note that if you are taking IELTS for UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) purposes then additional options (and rules) are applicable. Visit what is IELTS for UKVI for relevant information.
If you are not taking IELTS for UKVI purposes, there are only two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you send us ALL of the following documents when you register for your test:
- Proof of payment of the prescribed IELTS fee
- A photocopy of your identification document (your passport or national identity card)
6. Choose your payment options
The cost of sitting a test is NAD3000. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Online through the online application form
ii) Via an Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT)
Bank: Standard Chartered Bank
Account name: British Council
Account number: 001-883526-00
Branch: Johannesburg Branch
Branch code: 730020
SWIFT address: SCBLZAJJ
Type: Current Account
iii) As a cash deposit
Bank: Nedbank South Africa
Account name: SCB – BRITISH COUNCIL
Account number: 145-41169-19
Branch name: Corporate Client Services JHB
Branch code: 145405
iv) By credit card
Complete a credit card payment form.
Send your proof of payment or credit card form to IELTS.firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to +27 (0)86 570 0422. Please keep a copy as proof of payment.
- In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write: [IELTS / family name / city / test date] e.g. IELTS Smith NAM October
- Once you have made the payment, please send us the bank transfer receipt with the rest of your registration documents.
7. Complete your registration
Print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration).
Note that if you applied, paid and uploaded your documents online, you do not need to send this information to us again.
- Send all documents from step 5 and your Application Summary to the address below:
We need to receive all documents within five working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- We will send you a confirmation email at least one week before the test giving you the start time of your test and the venue address
For more information please do not hesitate to contact us.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a NAD600 administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please contact us. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please contact us.